Possible internal parasites

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

nikirushka

Possible internal parasites

Post by nikirushka » Wed May 03, 2017 3:54 pm

I've taken on two small weather loaches that were handed in to the shop in trade. The larger is in good condition, but the smaller is not: he is underweight and is not putting anything on. They came from two different people and the smaller spent at least a few weeks in the shop tank all by himself so it's not a case of being outcompeted, and they have a 30g fully cycled tank all to themselves so that's still the case. I feed well, and twice a day, to make sure he gets enough. A mix of Vitalis tropical pellets and frozen foods. I've had them for about a month now and he's just not gaining condition or size. He looks exactly as he looked when I brought them home.

So, I'm guessing there are some kind of internal parasites or similar going on. What might be best to treat with (in the UK) and how do I dose for them?

Diana

Re: Possible internal parasites

Post by Diana » Wed May 03, 2017 10:25 pm

I understand the Sera product line is pretty good, though I do not know the ingredients. If they make a medicine for internal parasites, go for it.
Another alternative is to look into wormers for dogs or cats. Read the ingredients and get recipes on line. Fenbendazole is one active ingredient. Piperazine is another active ingredient, often sold as wormer for puppies.
You will have to do the research to figure out how to use these.

If all these options are available through a veterinarian only, then you will have to find a vet who understands fish.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

nikirushka

Post by nikirushka » Thu May 04, 2017 2:57 am

Thanks, but do I not need to be careful with the loaches being sensitive? Or will it say on the bottle about dosing for them?

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu May 04, 2017 11:06 pm

If you find a medication designed for fish it may have specialized dosing for different groups of fish. If it is labeled this way, Loaches would be 'Scaleless' and 'Salt-sensitive'.

If you use one of the products marketed for other animals (dog/cat wormer) they you will have to do the research about customized dosing.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Sun May 07, 2017 5:31 am

In the UK get Kusuri wormer plus. Its a flubendazole based treatment, safe to use with any fish, sensitive fish including, and fry older than one week but will kill inverts. It is broad spectrum so it will cover worms and parasites of many kinds. You need to dose twice 4 days apart. The weight gain after fish has had worms is slow but you should be able to start noticing some filling out soon enough. Take pictures because one forgets where they started...

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sun May 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Loachloach wrote:The weight gain after fish has had worms is slow but you should be able to start noticing some filling out soon enough. Take pictures because one forgets where they started...
I think this is one of the best advises I ever read regarding the treatment of illnesses. And so obvious, I'm almost ashamed I did not think of it myself

in other words: Thank You

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Wed May 10, 2017 1:41 am

Ha, ha. Thanks Bas. I have probably developed the "picture method" to old age and memory issues :lol:

miligrate

Post by miligrate » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:00 am

Loachloach wrote:In the UK get Kusuri wormer plus. Its a flubendazole based treatment, safe to use with any fish, sensitive fish including, and fry older than one week but will kill inverts. It is broad spectrum so it will cover worms and parasites of many kinds. You need to dose twice 4 days apart. The weight gain after fish has had worms is slow but you should be able to start noticing some filling out soon enough. Take pictures because one forgets where they started...
best flight delay support | blog post link
Thanks for the product recommendation. I also suspect two of my loaches have parasites because they are not putting on weight since I bought them despite me feeding them regularly. I'll take pictures before giving them the dewormer and see the weight gain.