Have you heard of Acantopsis dialuzona?
Moderator: LoachForumModerators
Re: Have you heard of Acantopsis dialuzona?
I think it was 5 years ago that the genus Acantopsis grew a lot.
Earlier, it was all A choirhorhynchius, but than this species was split into 8 or so. All closely related, soome growin a few cm larger than others, but the care is generally the same:
clean flowing water, sand and food tendiing to be more animal than plants. temp? No heater required, around 20 C would suffice
Earlier, it was all A choirhorhynchius, but than this species was split into 8 or so. All closely related, soome growin a few cm larger than others, but the care is generally the same:
clean flowing water, sand and food tendiing to be more animal than plants. temp? No heater required, around 20 C would suffice
-
mariahcarey
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:29 pm
Re: Have you heard of Acantopsis dialuzona?
Has anyone here kept Acantopsis dialuzona in a regular tank without a heater?Ragdoll Hit How did you set up the tank and water flow for them?
-
emmaorabelle
- Posts: 24
- Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:25 am
Re: Have you heard of Acantopsis dialuzona?
Not only are they kept for viewing pleasure, these loach species are also diligent "clean-up workers." Their constant digging and stirring of the substrate in search of food helps to: Basketball Bros aerate the substrate, preventing stagnant air (the accumulation of toxic gases). They also clean up leftover food from other fish that falls to the bottom. A fish species with a unique appearance, interesting personality, and beneficial to the aquarium ecosystem.
Re: Have you heard of Acantopsis dialuzona?
Interesting how much the Acantopsis group has changed taxonomically. I remember seeing “horseface loach” used almost as if they were all the same fish. The sand seems especially important with these guys. Watching them bury themselves with just the eyes or snout showing is half the fun of keeping them. I’d probably go with fine sand, decent flow and good oxygenation, then offer things like frozen bloodworms or other small sinking foods.
I’m curious about the temperature though. Has anyone here kept A. dialuzona long term at around 20°C? I’ve seen quite a wide range suggested for them, so it would be interesting to hear actual keeper experience. connections hint
I’m curious about the temperature though. Has anyone here kept A. dialuzona long term at around 20°C? I’ve seen quite a wide range suggested for them, so it would be interesting to hear actual keeper experience. connections hint