I just got some Java Loaches from my LFS. They'd had a recent outbreak of ich but were treating it. In the tank the javas were in, there wasn't any visible sign of ich on the fish. By the time I got home and went to rehome my new babies, I saw one of the loaches (the most energetic one who didn't want to get caught and put up a heck of a fight), had white spots or almost like horizontal lines along his top. he also seems skinnier than I am used to seeing.
Problem is, I'm super new to aquariums (like just started this hobby). i've totally fallen in love with my pretty java loaches and want to make sure I do right by them. Tank currenntly only has 2 snails (nerites) and 4 javas. I am slowly but surely picking out every malaysian trumpet snail I see since I'd really rather have my nerites.
* Type of fish that are affected!). java loach pangio oblonga
* How long has the tank been set up for? 6 weeks
* Size of tank (dimensions and volume). 10 gallon; 20x10x12.
* How is the tank being filtered? HOB filter - aquaclear 20
* Water temperature. 76 degrees F/24 degrees C
* Your maintenance regime (e.g. how often water changes are carried out, what percentage of the water is changed each time, how often you clean your filter/s and how do you do this?): PWC 1x a week unless needed of ~ 20-30%. deeper cleans get closer to 40-50%. filter cleaned every 2 weeks. cleaned in dirty water vacced out of tank. tank has sand substrate with live plants. substrate is stirred up to release any excess mulm.
* Has anything new been added to the tank recently? (fish, plants, live food, decor etc). Just the new loach. I did have a molly fish which i exchanged for the loaches. Molly fish are more dirty than I realized.
* What other fish are in the tank? as of right now, 4 pangio oblonga, 1 tiger nerite, 1 zebra nerite
* As detailed a description as possible of the symptoms the fish are exhibiting (remember a photograph can speak a thousand words). i loach has white spots or almost like horizontal lines along his top. he also seems skinnier than I am used to seeing.
* How long ago the affected fish were added to the tank, and how long the fish have been displaying symptoms. It's been a little less than 24 hours at this time and I believe they had symptoms before I got them.
* Your current water parameters - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH (please don't say 'my water is fine, the levels are ok', we would like actual numbers from the test results).
Ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, pH 7.0-7.2
Update: I went back to my LFS with the pictures. He knows the loach didn't have those markings when it was in the tank so we think that in trying to get it, the loach got scratched up. However it is thinner than the rest, the first to rush for food, and not quite as energetic. I've ordered levimisole HCL from amazon and it will hopefully arrive tomorrow. I'm going to follow the recommendations in the skinny disease post and hopefully there will be more of an improvement!
EDIT: I got better pictures so I am uploading them instead. I tried to delete this post but i hav e no embedded thumbnails and links into my OP. sorry about the confusion. it's a learning curve.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests