How many khuli's in a 10 gallon?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Xenos

How many khuli's in a 10 gallon?

Post by Xenos » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:51 pm

Hello everyone!
I ususally keep cichlids , but got a taste of loach madness a few months back...(I posted here about some wal-mart recused loaches)
So, having recently finished moving all my cihlids to their new 80 gallon home, I was wondering what I could do with a spare 10 gallon I have, and immediately though of Kuhli loaches!

My Question: I want to keep some Kuhli's, some neon tetras, and maybe even some cherry shrimp. I really don't want to mess with (live)plants, but that's because I don't know much about them. How many of each of this mix could I keep? Is there too little space to keep enough of each fish? I really wanted 5 of each loach/tetra...will this be enough for them to feel comfortable? I'll be running a cusom wet/dry canister filter on this 10 gallon meant for a 20 gallon so water flow and filtration won't be a problem. Any suggestions, even of different stock would be greatly appreciated. I've been all over "The Google" and haven't really found what I need. :?
We milk rocks for water around here.

elfuego

Post by elfuego » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:20 pm

I have 2 kuhlis, 5 dwarf loaches, 5 cherry barbs, a flying fox and a female betta in my 10 gal. All seem to be happy and healthy. Water chem is good. I do have live plants. Also, have 2 hidey holes for the kuhlis- made out of a piece of slate and some rocks. Only one kuhli uses them, the other one hangs out in the open with everyone else.
I would say that I am maxed with this tank, but as long as I don't add and I clean and change water regularly, everything is good! :D
Just some ideas.
Well behaved women rarely make history.
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich-historian

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:48 am

Xenos, you really want a 20 gallon tank or larger for kuhlis. While it's true that a very small number of them can be kept in a tiny 10g tank, they require swimming space like any loach, and more so, they require a large tank footprint - the space on the bottom of the tank.

I would recommend that you look to keep them in a sand or fine-gravel substrate tank with real plants and ample covered, shaded areas that are always dark.

The jump from 10 to 20 is not huge in terms of space required, and 20 gallon tanks require slightly less urgent water control than a 10.

Elfuego, anyone here will tell you that a 10 gallon is not suited to sidthimunkis, or 13 fish of almost any kind. I strongly recommend you consider upgrading soon, for the sake of your loaches - and other fish. I also keep kuhlis and sids together, but in a densely planted 30 gallon tank.

A 10 gallon tank makes an ideal QT or hospital tank. I like to have one handy for emergencies. But a tank that small is not well suited to any species of loach.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

elfuego

Post by elfuego » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:34 pm

I know, I'm working on it. Everyone does appear happy and they are healthy. Water chem is always good. Have live plants etc. Will probably move on to a 30 gal. I used to only have bettas. So 10 gal seemed large to me. :? Still have quite a few bettas. My 5 gal attempt for one betta +one flying fox was a disaster. Couldn't control the Nitrite levels no matter how many times I changed water or reduced food. :( Will just keep my bettas in 2 gal bowls. Have lots of those.
Still, my 10 gal has been with all occupants for at least 3 months now(except the last 3 dwarfs). And all is well :) Should not have any problems until I upgrade, if I maintain my current maintenance sched. :D

elfuego

Post by elfuego » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:57 pm

Dammit Mark! I can barely walk away from ANOTHER puppy in wal-mart parking lot. Now I feel sick to my stomach about the fish. I'm going to get the new tank 30gal tank!
I don't think they are permanently damaged. Yet :roll: